About Me

My photo
I'm Anna-I'm about to get my associates at community college in photography-and when I'm finished...I have no idea where I'm headed! I live at work, school, and starbucks.

Friday, January 15, 2010

late night boredom SO IM WRITING




Ok so I thought I'd put my view of the film The Lovely Bones out there since I have now seen it twice and have long awaited the arrival of this movie
but be warned, there are spoilers!

I read the book over the summer and was drawn in by the take Alice Sebold had on the murder of a child, and the devastation that it causes the family, along with the process of recovery that the family must endure.

With any book that gets turned into a film, I didn't go in expecting it to follow the book exactly, because it always leads to disappointment.
A few things were left out of the book, like the affair that Suzy's mother had when she left the house...and when the family dog came into the house with Suzy's elbow.

Unlike the book, the murder wasn't explained right away in the movie. At first-the viewer is led into thinking that Suzy was able to escape from Mr. Harvey-it was confusing for a moment-but quickly explained when her father was unable to see her when she screamed for him.

There were only a couple things that I wish remained in the movie, such as the memorial that the entire school attended-instead, her father lit a candle in the window every night for his daughter.
I also think that the time frame could have better been explained. The course of the book takes place all throughout high school graduation and college. Suzy's sister gets married and has a child..The movie does very little to explain the time frame, and in no way is explained that they are out of school, and that her sister is married.

So it wasn't the greatest movie ever, but I do think that it deserves a little credit, and it's probably going to be on my list of favorites.

The cinematography in the film was FANTASTIC, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. Despite the fact that most of it was green screen; the saturation, contrast and detail that all go into Suzy's heaven was incredible and visually pleasing. I enjoyed the connections that were between the "in-between" and Earth, and the way that Suzy was still able to reach out to her family in some small way.
I also liked the way that every time Suzy became upset, the scenery in her new, temporary home changed.

Foreshadowing could be found throughout the entire film. It isn't really noticeable the first time seeing it, but near the beginning of the movie, her murderer can be seen watching her every move while they were in the mall. When I noticed it, I got the chills. There were hints all throughout Suzy's new world that all lead up to the end of the film, and the many other murder victims throughout Mr. Harvey's past.
Everything is relevant and I loved the use of the recorder shaped tree, the rainbow ball, and the hat floating through the air-which is explained near the end.
Mr. Harvey's death is easily foreshadowed throughout the movie with the occasional icicle in the Heaven melting.

Oh, and if you look closely-Peter Jackson is in the movie during a mall scene!


OK...and congrats if you actually sat through and read all of my sad, pathetic ranting and raving-because I probably wouldn't have. You get a cookie! Good job!

and here's something totally irrelevant! However-this was by far the best episode of How I Met Your Mother EVER!!!
(this video is backwards btw. it bothers me. but ignore it...if you're still reading this, you get milk with your cookie)

2 comments:

  1. haha i didnt know this was backwards till the end with marshal ted robin and lilly. thats weird

    ReplyDelete